My financial chronicle
Do you have the support of a good financial security advisor?
Choosing your financial security advisor wisely is crucial. Since your financial future may depend on it, you must be able to trust this ally to guide you toward achieving your financial objectives. Here are a few fundamental elements for you to consider before making a choice.
To be recognized as a financial security advisor in Quebec, one must have a representative’s certificate in the sector of insurance of persons issued by the Autorité des marchés financiers.
2) Obligations and ethics
If you don’t have a financial security advisor yet and would like to find someone with a proven professional track record, it may be wise to ask a trusted colleague or friend to recommend an advisor he or she knows and likes.
You should also know that your advisor’s professional conduct is governed by a legal and regulatory framework1 which includes a code of ethics2. This code of ethics is intended to protect the public and promote honest, competent advising practices.
Here are a few ethical obligations advisors must follow in the practice of their profession:
- Advisors must take into account the means available to them and the limits of their knowledge. For example, they must not undertake or continue any mandate for which they are insufficiently prepared without obtaining the necessary assistance.
- Advisors must act with dignity, discretion, objectivity, and moderation.
- Advisors must practice with integrity and avoid any potential conflicts of interest.
- They must also put the client’s interests above their own and make recommendations impartially, without considering their personal interest.
- Before advising clients or potential clients, or making a recommendation to them, advisors must seek to have a complete understanding of the facts.
- Advisors must respect the confidentiality of any personal information they obtain and use it only for the purposes for which it was obtained, unless they are relieved of that obligation by a provision of a law or order of a competent court.
- Advisors must make themselves available and demonstrate diligence.
The bond of trust
These legal considerations are essential. But once they have been fulfilled, it is the rapport your advisor creates with you that determines your level of trust. You expect your financial security advisor to be attentive to your needs, concerns, and plans, to make recommendations with full awareness of your personal and family situation, and to offer guidance at every stage of your life.
More than just numbers and money, your advisor should give you real tools to make your dreams come true and achieve your objectives. The challenge is to find the advisor who’s right for you.
Interested in setting up a meeting? As the financial security advisor assigned to your institution, ministry, organization or establishment, I can help you create a financial strategy tailored to your needs. I look forward to meeting with you.
Make an appointment today!
1) An Act respecting the distribution of financial products and services, R.S.Q., c. D-9.2 and related regulations.
2) Code of ethics of the Chambre de la sécurité financière, c. D-9.2, r. 3.